Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do you get your board to the beach?

Every time I go on a surfing session getting my board to the beach is never easy. In fact, it is a nightmare getting a 9’2” longboard into a Mazda 323 sedan. You almost need to be a magician. I have to gently prize the board through the boot over the folded down backseat and then over the folded back front passenger seat. The end result is a snugly fit board with its nose pressed up against the windscreen. Thank God, I haven't had to slam on my brakes for any reason yet. If you hear of a flying surfboard after a nose to tail at a set of traffic lights, you will know it will be me ... hehe.

This drama makes me think how great it would be to own a bigger car or a van, especially an iconic VW. Unfortunately, the retro VW vans are expensive. They have become cultural icons, particularly among surfers. Tidy ones are few and far between, rare as hens teeth. A cheaper alternative for me would be buying a roof rack. Then again, a van would also make changing in and out of my wetsuit a lot easier. It would also be great for a surfing road trip and living rough for a few days or weeks. Think of the camping stuff you could store in a van. I am beginning to sound all hippie. I would be interested to know what method of transport you guys use for getting your boards to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment